After painting my dresser I wanted to replace the knobs with some of the 7 Gypsies ones but they are £4 each and I needed ten. I just couldn't justify another £40 on top of the cost of the paint I used. I found some cream porcelain knobs at The Range for £1 each and they looked fine. I was going to decorate them somehow, I tried to stamp them but the stamp slipped and smudged. I managed to get a clear image but it just didn't look right.
After an internet search I found some transfer paper to make decals but it seemed a lot of faffing around, spraying the printed image three times and a lot of waiting in between. I'm fed up with waiting this week after all of that painting and I didn't want to wait for the post. I thought about gel medium transfer but decided just to try and stick images straight onto the knobs. It worked really well, I'm over the moon with the results, it was so quick and easy.
I found some images on the internet and resized them to the same size of the knobs. I just used my inkjet printer on some ordinary printer paper. Once printed I cut them out carefully
I used some Glue and Seal, I always use matte finish for my art journals, it dries very quickly and gives a protective coat. I brished some directly onto each knob
I then placed the image straight onto the knob, making sure it was centered. I found it easier doing this while they were in situ, it's difficult to get the images in the right place when the knobs are screwed back on.
Using the brush I coated the paper with more Glue & Seal which made it more pliable. Using the brish I smoothed the paper over the curve of the knob.
I smoothed the wrinkles out with my finger (well, most of them anyway) and left it to dry.
Because the knobs are porcelain, the images can be scraped off and new ones added to change the look of the furniture. Once dry the tiny wrinkles are barely noticeable.